Application Cycles: Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 (the current cycle's application deadline is listed above; applications are due by 11:59 PM Pacific time on the application deadline date)
Award Start Dates: January 1, 2019 and July 1, 2019 ( Please note: the start date cannot be changed.)
Funding Periods: January 1, 2019-December 31, 2019 and July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020
Funding Level: The stipend for the January 1, 2019-December 31, 2019 and July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020 cycles will be $30,000.
Notification of Awards: late December 2018 and late June 2019
The School of Medicine Dean’s Postdoctoral Fellowships encourage and support young investigators in the first two years of their postdoctoral (Ph.D. or M.D.) research training at the School of Medicine and who are under the mentorship of faculty in the School of Medicine. With the goal to support current postdocs and to facilitate the recruitment of new scholars, support of a Dean's Fellowship is often used as "seed" money while outside funds are sought.
The following information includes eligibility criteria, additional application guidelines, selection criteria, funding information and a list of the required application materials.
Applicants are expected to ensure that both they and their faculty sponsor meet all eligibility criteria listed below and follow the application procedures. Applications from postdoctoral scholars and/or faculty sponsors who do not meet the fellowship guidelines will not be reviewed by the Dean's Postdoctoral Fellowship Review Committee.
- The applicant must be appointed as a postdoctoral scholar at the Stanford University School of Medicine at the time the award begins. If the applicant is not an appointed postdoctoral scholar at the time of the application deadline, additional documents must be submitted with the application (see application materials below).
- The faculty sponsor must be appointed in the School of Medicine. (Acting, consulting and courtesy appointees are not eligible.)
- Awardees cannot be enrolled in a degree-granting program while funded.
- Applicants in the first one or two years of postdoctoral research training are preferred. (Click here for more information about postdoctoral research experience.)
- Foreign fellows must have visas that allow stipend support (typically a J-1 & F-1 OPT). H1-B and TN visa holders are not eligible. Citizenship is not a selection factor.
- Proposals for a second-year of funding: This is a one-year fellowship. Because of the size of the applicant pool, the committee will no longer review applications for a second year of funding.
Additional Application Guidelines:
- Faculty members may not have more than one funded Dean's fellow at a time, except for Assistant Professors who may have two funded scholars at the same time.
- A faculty member may not serve as mentor/sponsor on more than one fellowship application per cycle. This applies to Assistant Professors as well.
- Funding is restricted to support investigative activities. Awardees must spend at least 80% of their time in research. If effort is reduced to less than 80% research while receiving funding, an exception must be requested and approved in advance.
- Funding is limited to stipend support paid directly to the postdoctoral scholar. The award may not be used to support research expenses or towards travel or tuition expenses.
- If the proposed research will involve animal and/or human subjects/protocols, the applicant should apply for the required protocols at the time of submission and not wait to be funded. The award cannot be activated without approved protocols. The protocols need to list the School of Medicine Dean's Fellowship as a possible funding source.
- Re-applications from previous applicants whose applications were not funded are accepted.
A complete application must be submitted online by the deadline. Please start your online application early to allow enough time for the system to solicit the required form from your faculty mentor which is due at the same time as your application. Applications are due by 11:59 PM Pacific time on the application deadline date.
Please carefully read the selection criteria, eligibility criteria, program participation requirements, and funding guidelines before starting the application process.
A complete application consists of:
- Complete online application form
- Applicant’s NIH Biosketch
- Research proposal: (uploaded by applicant online): Two page limit, including any graphics or charts. The research proposal must be written by the fellow and reviewed by the faculty sponsor. These two pages should include a brief statement of proposed investigation in the following sections: Background, Goals, Hypothesis, and Experimental methods). Formatting guidelines require at least 1-inch margins at the top, bottom, left and right; and 12 point or larger font. Include title of project on both pages and number pages. References may only be included if they are part of your two-page proposal.
- Faculty Sponsor's Recommendation Form & Agreement (Note: this fellowship does not require a letter of recommendation.)
- Offer Letter - only if not currently appointed as a postdoctoral scholar in the Stanford School of Medicine
Please Note: This application does not go through RMG or OSR at Stanford.
The Dean’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Selection Committee consists of School of Medicine faculty of diverse interests and basic/translational focus. They assign priority scores to applications based on:
- Scientific merit of the proposal and its training relevance. The proposal must be written by the fellow and reviewed by the faculty sponsor. Priority is given to proposals of outstanding scientific merit that will provide a novel and complementary training environment for the trainee.
- Scientific Potential of the Trainee. Priority is given to trainees with the potential for independent and innovative biomedical research.
- Stage of Training. Priority is given to those trainees in the early phase of their postdoctoral training. The stage of funding is defined as the number of years as a postdoctoral fellow since your last doctoral degree. Clinical residency years are not considered relevant research years. If considerable time has elapsed since the doctoral degree, and that time was not spent engaged in research or clinical residency, the applicant is expected to describe in the application how the time was spent.
- Program Participation Requirement. Faculty Sponsor must have fulfilled program participation requirements for her/his previous Dean's Fellowship recipient(s).
For questions regarding this fellowship, please click here to use Stanford's HelpSU system to submit your inquiry online.
- Enroll in the Grant Writing Academy’s Specific Aims lecture and workshop or Proposal Bootcamp (BIOS242);
- Submit a brief annual report at the end of the fellowship; and
- Attend and be prepared to present/discuss research at Dean's Fellowship lunch(es).
For Faculty Sponsors* :
- Participate in the Grant Writing Academy’s Faculty Review Workshops (4-hour commitment);
- Attend Dean's Fellowship lunch(es); and,
- Provide mentorship to the awardees at Dean’s Fellowship events.
* Failure to meet these requirements may cause the faculty sponsor to be ineligible to support postdoc applications in future application cycles of the Dean’s Postdoctoral Fellowship.