Postdoc appointments are contingent on program need, satisfactory performance, and availability of funding. There is no guaranteed or implied renewal at the end of an appointment term. The Faculty Sponsor and the Postdoc should discuss appointment extension or end well before the official appointment end date. Please Note: A minimum of three months notice is required for appointment extensions that include a visa status change.
International postdocs may be eligible for up to five years of a J-1 visa program; but, there is no guarantee that the appointment will be renewed. Subject to the limits set forth in university policy, the appointment may be subject to early termination or non-renewal.
For Any Postdoctoral Appointment That Is Ending:
- The Postdoc Admin submits a termination webform 10 days prior to the end date of the appointment.
- The webform ends the appointment, quarterly registration fees, and monthly benefits charges.
Notify Your Department Postdoc Admin
Provide your Department Postdoc Admin with the following:
- Date you will leave
- Permanent email address
- Forwarding snail mail address where you can be sent COBRA information
Complete the Postdoc Exit Survey
Appointment Verification Requests & Letters
- You or a potential employer may request a letter verifying your postdoctoral appointment dates at any time. Requests are submitted on the Verification Request page.
Stay Connected with Other Stanford Postdocs
- Join the Stanford University Postdocs LinkedIn Group. This private LinkedIn group of current and former Stanford postdocs is an opportunity to grow your Stanford network.
- Join BioSci Connect, a mentoring community for career and life conversations, where you can both give and receive advice! The BioSci Connect Team is an email away at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stanford Alumni Association: Affiliate Membership for postdoctoral scholars
- Stanford Medicine Alumni Assocation: "If you've graduated from the School of Medicine with either a degree or certificate (including all former postdocs, residents, interns, and fellows), you're automatically a member of the Stanford Medicine Alumni Association and can start enjoying these benefits today."
Stanford Email Address & SUNet Reminders
- Your email address remains active for 120 days after your appointment ends.
- Review the webpage that explains: "How to Close Your SUNet ID Account: Students and Graduates"
- NEW! Forward emails from your Stanford account for up to two years. Click here to find out how!