A reappointment (extension of a postdoctoral appointment) is possible by agreement between the faculty member and the postdoctoral scholar in accordance with the terms of the offer and applicable University policy. Reappointments and term extensions should be discussed and submitted for approval a minimum of three months before the end of the appointment. Appointments with visas require additional processing time, typically 1-2 months. A reappointment/extension of a postdoc may not exceed five years of postdoctoral research (at Stanford or elsewhere), except in rare circumstances. Refer to RPH 10.3, Section 2F & G, for applicable provisions and requirements, including term limit considerations, and review the Sixth Training Year Extension Requests section of this page for further details.
Term Limit Considerations
Postdocs who have completed five years of research or training and who are continuing at Stanford may be moved into an appropriate classification such as a Research Associate, Instructor, or Lecturer. Contact your faculty affairs office or human resources office to initiate the process at least three months before the appointment end date.
- Administrators may reappoint (extend the current appointment of) postdocs by submitting a Change Request web form via PeopleSoft Web Forms.
- Appointment extensions for externally-funded postdocs must include an updated funding letter (upload a .pdf to the approved recommendation form).
Questions about the new Public Charge final rule affecting visa change of status and extensions of stay? Find answers here.
- Reappointment end date and visa end date must match.
- Reappointment web forms and visa extension web forms are not reviewed until both are submitted; please submit both to avoid delays.
- J-1 Scholars: Change requests must be accompanied by submission of a DS-2019 Extension web form.
- DS-2019 Funding Sources total must match annual funding reported to OPA, EXCEPT:
- When the appointment/DS-2019 Extension does not equal one year;
- Annual funding is reported to OPA via Change form.
- Funding rate for extension period is reported to Bechtel I-Center via the DS-2019 web form (will only match annual rate for one year extensions).
- When external funding includes allowances beyond the annual salary rate.
- Annual funding is reported to OPA via Change form (do not include additional allowances).
- Funding rate for extension period is reported to Bechtel I-Center via the DS-2019 web form (additional allowances ARE reported to Bechtel).
- H-1B Visa: Change request must be accompanied by submission of completed and signed .pdf H-1B Visa Request Form and an H-1B Employment Visa web form.
- F1 OPT: Change request must be accompanied by a STEM extension EAD card (upload a .pdf to the approved recommendation form), or by the required web forms/documents supporting a transition to J-1 or H-1B visa status.
Clinical Trainees: Clinical Fellow reappointments/extensions require the submission of an updated signedPatient Care Form to OPA and to GME at Stanford Hospital and Clinics. Department administrators are responsible for ensuring the completion and submission of this form to those two offices.
If the reappointment of the clinical trainee follows the completion of a clinical training program and the trainee is continuing at Stanford in order to carry out basic science research while they plan to perform additional clinical duties through Stanford Hospital and Clinics (SHC) as a housestaff physician not in training, a Termination of the Clinical Appointment must be submitted to OPA via PeopleSoft Web Forms and a new appointment to recommend a Research Scholar must be initiated. If, as a Research Scholar, the candidate will continue to perform clinical duties as an Attending Physician with SHC, postdoctoral administrators must upload a signedAgreement for Services Outside of Fellowship as part of the Recommendation Form. In those cases, clinical arrangements are made directly by the department with SHC to determine appropriate levels of credentialing/pay.
Sixth Training Year Extension Requests
Reappointments beyond 60 months of postdoctoral research experience (max. 72 months) are exceptions to policy, are not guaranteed, and are governed by RPH 10.3, Sections 2F & 2G. To request an exception, follow these intructions and submit an exception packet that includes:
- Postdoc 6th Year Extension Request Cover Sheet
- Sixth Year Extension Request Form: PI
- Sixth Year Extension Request Form: Postdoc (updated 04/23/20)
- Updated Postdoc CV
- Research Experience Calculator
OPA submits exception requests to the faculty subcommittee once/month. Submissions are due the 2nd Friday of each month. Late submissions are submitted the next month, at which point the 6-8 week review timeline begins.
It takes a considerable amount of time to gather all the required documents for a complete exception packet. Start this process sooner, rather than later.