Instructions for Stanford Unversity Letter of Endorsement
Official Banting Application Deadline: Sept. 18, 2019
Internal Stanford Deadline: noon on Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2019
More Information: http://banting.fellowships-bourses.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html
The required Banting Fellowship Letter of Endorsement comes from Associate Dean for Postdoctoral Affairs, Dr. Sofie Kleppner.
Please submit any questions about this process to our office via HelpSU.
A draft letter of endorsement and all application materials must be emailed five working days (by noon on 09/11/19) prior to the official application deadline. (Instructions below.)
Draft Letter of Endorsement Checklist:
1.) Your Contact Information
Please include your full name, your faculty sponsor's full name, your department, your mailing address, cell phone#, and email address at the top of the draft letter.
2.) Follow directions at Banting Fellowship Letter of Endorsement
Under Item #1 (Describe the process...):
Please include the following language in the draft letter: "The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs at Stanford University does not currently have a selection process because of the relatively small pool of applicants for the Banting Fellowship."
Under Item #2 (Confirm agreement with...):
Please summarize your "supervisor's statement of synergy" in the draft letter and confirm agreement with the statement.
For the Supervisor's Statement, please ensure that it includes:
Appropriateness of supervisor, research environment, and professional development (including Stanford Individual Development Plan [IDP]). Note that "institutional commitment & demonstrated synergy" asks for the following: http://banting.fellowships-bourses.gc.ca/en/rev-eval_guide.html
Professional development - Describe the institution's commitment to the applicant's professional leadership development, clearly indicating the resources and/or mentoring activities that are available through the institution to support career development. These could include, but are not limited to: (Note: links are only examples, please be as specific as you can in the draft letter.)
- Career counseling, e.g., Stanford University Career Education (BEAM), or School of Medicine BioSci Careers
- Training in preparation of grant proposals, publications and presentations, e.g., Stanford Biosciences Grant Writing Academy
- Training in knowledge translation/mobilization, e.g., iRite/iSpeak, Oral Communication, Academic Chats, Scientific Management Series, or VPGE Courses
- Training in intellectual property regulations, e.g., Stanford University Office of Technology Licensing, Stanford University School of Medicine Conflict of Interest Office, etc.
- Guidance on ways to improve teaching and mentoring skills, e.g., Mentoring Workshop, Teaching Workshop, Biosciences Grant Writing Coaches Program, etc.
- Guidance on how to effectively collaborate with researchers and knowledge users from diverse backgrounds and disciplinary areas, Scientific Management Series, Academic Chats, Stanford Center for Biomedical Ethics, etc.
- Opportunities for collaboration and networking, e.g., Stanford Postdoc Association (SURPAS), career centers, Office of Postdoctoral Affairs events, etc.
- Training in responsible professional practices, Stanford Center for Biomedical Ethics, Scientific Management Series, etc.
- Teaching opportunities, e.g., Biosciences Grant Writing Coaches Program, Stanford SPLASH!, etc.
Consider the funding facilities & equipment generally included in grant proposals AND the professional development demonstrated through the IDP and the numerous programs (identify those most useful or interesting for your career); Consider the broader research environment - department and collaborations; Consider the strategic priorities of your department, and your school.
Under Item #3 (Confirm the institution's commitment...):
Please include the following language in the draft letter: "Stanford University is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer, committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce. It welcomes participation from women, members of minority groups, veterans, persons with disabilities, and others who would bring additional dimensions to the university's research and teaching mission."
3.) Email your draft letter of endorsement and all application materials five working days (by noon on 09/11/19) prior to the official application deadline to Banting Fellowship - Stanford Box at email address upload.Banting.firstname.lastname@example.org to reach Dr. Kleppner and the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.
- Please use your last name in the file name of your attachments.
- The draft letter of endorsement must be in MS Word formatting.
- Other application materials should be in one PDF or MS Word file.
- Any text entered in the body of emails to Stanford Box will be lost.
- Please do not email materials directly to Dr. Kleppner.
Questions? Please submit your question to our office via HelpSU.