Individual Development Plan Guides
- MyIDP - excellent tool and worksheets for planning science careers
- Stanford BEAM Career Education Digital Resources
- Advisor, Teacher, Role Model, Friend: On Being a Mentor to Postdocs in Science and Engineering by NAS, NAE & Institute of Medicine.
- The Mentor's Guide: Facilitating Effective Learning Relationships by Lois Zachary. Stanford School of Medicine Career Center library.
- On Being a Mentor: A Guide for Higher Education Faculty by W. Brad Johnson.
- Mentoring and Diversity in Higher Education by Henry Frierson.
- University of Washington Professor's Guide to Mentoring
- Council of Graduate Schools - mentoring topics for each stage of training
- Nature's Guide for Mentors June 2007
- Stanford's Faculty Development Office
Research Skills and Scientific Thinking
- Beyond the Beakers: SMART Advice for Entering Graduate Programs in the Sciences and Engineering by Gayle Slaughter. Stanford School of Medicine Career Center library.
- The Art of Being a Scientist: A Guide for Graduate Students and Their Mentors by Roel Snieder and Ken Larner.
- The Chicago Guide to Your Career in Science: A Toolkit for Postdocs and Postdocs by Victor Bloomfield.
- BIOS mini-courses
Writing and Oral Communication
Professionalism and Interpersonal Skills
- Vice Provost for Graduate Education
- Quick Bytes - lunchtime topics on academic, professional and career development
- Managing Projects Large and Small (Harvard Business Essentials). Stanford School of Medicine BioSci Careers library.
- Stanford Center for Professional Development "Advanced Project Management" course ($400/course for Stanford.)
Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Stanford Biodesign - Biodesign Network, Fellowships, community, networking, resources and facilities for biomedical innovators
- Stanford Ignite - Stanford GSB faculty lead project-based mini-course on bringing concepts to commercial reality
- StartX - community, resources, inspiration, mentoring and funding for entrepreneurs
Resources for Career Development
Stanford School of Medicine Career Center
School of Medicine Career Center Career Discussion Groups
Vice Provost for Graduate Education (VPGE)
- VPGE Career Development
- Academic Chats
- Alternatives To Academic Careers (Alt Ac) Speaker Series
- Leadership Dinners
- WISE and WISSH Groups for Women
Career Prep and Practice
- Curricula for Careers in Academia
- Career Foundations: Academia (September panel)
- INDE 231A: Career Transitions: Academia (Fall Quarter)
- INDE 231B: Career Prep & Practice: Academia (Spring Quarter)
- INDE 239: Preparation and Practice for Biotechnology Business and Finance
- INDE 255A & B: Health Policy, Finance and Economics
- School of Medicine Career Center Career Discussion Groups
- Biosciences Internship Program
- Biosciences Event Calendars - speakers, professional development and career development events