This event is part of series:
II: Professional & Academic Writing
Prerequisite: Oral Communication
Spring Session: Mondays, April 26 - May 31, 1:00pm-3:00pm
This course on academic writing for publication focuses on learning to write coherently, clearly, and concisely. It will also include some practice in writing effective emails, letters, and short proposals. The course includes two 30-minute individual tutorials with the instructor.
The required textbook is: Williams, J. & Colomb, G., Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace(current edition).
By the end of the course, participants are expected to:
- Understand cultural conventions in written communication (emails, etc.)
- Develop an awareness of reader expectations within their field
- Recognize their most common individual language and stylistic problems
- Show progress in developing ways to overcome those problems
- Write more efficiently and confidently
- See improvement in their overall writing effectiveness