Skip to content Skip to navigation

STS: Talk Matters: Investigating the Nature of Non-Content Classroom Language - Instructor Talk - that May Mediate Student Inclusion, Engagement, and Learning

This event is part of series:

November 18, 2020 - 11:00am to 1:00pm
Speaker(s): 
Kimberly Tanner & Jeff Schinske

Through the language they use, instructors create classroom environments that have the potential to impact learning by affecting student motivation, resistance, belonging, and self-efficacy. However, despite the critical importance of instructor language to the student experience, little research has investigated what instructors are saying in undergraduate classrooms. We systematically investigated instructor language that was not directly related to content ("Instructor Talk") and identified five robust categories of Instructor Talk that can characterize ~90% of non-content language found in courses. The remaining ~10% of instances of Instructor Talk in these settings were categorized as negatively-phrased or potentially discouraging in nature. In this interactive workshop, participants will reflect on their past use of Instructor Talk, explore the Instructor Talk framework derived from our research, and identify ways of applying Instructor Talk in their future classes. Attention to Instructor Talk in undergraduate classrooms may be key for instructors to create inclusive learning environments and promote student learning.

Co-sponsored by the Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education (VPGE) and the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL).

Categories: 
Domain: