Your Stanford email will remain active for 120 days from the end date of your appointment. Afterward, as a courtesy to postdocs in good standing, you are eligible for email forwarding for up to 2 years.
All email* sent to your Stanford account can be forwarded to an external email address. Note that there is no email storage connected with this, nor will you be able to send email from your Stanford address.
*Please note that you may not forward your email if you receive High Risk Data.
If you would like to take advantage of this:
- Log into StanfordYou, and select “Change settings for account....”
- Select the Email tab and then click the button labeled: “Forward email sent to your former Stanford address.”
- Follow the instructions to enter and save the email address to which you want your @stanford.edu mail forwarded.
You will receive confirmation that you have set up forwarding, notice that forwarding has begun, and also notice 30 days prior to the end of the 2 year term. Forwarding will not begin until your Stanford email becomes inactive, and if you keep or regain access to your Stanford email (e.g., by returning as staff or being sponsored for continued email service), forwarding will be automatically disabled.
If you have questions or need assistance, call 5-HELP (650-725-4357) or go to https://services.stanford.edu and submit a help ticket.
- My appointment ended 6 months ago and I forgot to set up email forwarding. Can I do it now?
- Yes, you may initiate email forwarding at any time within the 2 year active period.
- I was hired by Stanford, and my Stanford email address has been reactivated. What happens to my email forwarding?
- Your email forwarding ends if you gain another affiliation with Stanford
- Can I forward to more than one email address?
- No. Email forwarding is restricted to a single address.
- I receive high risk data in my email and am not eligible for forwarding, what can I do?
- Your faculty sponsor may be willing to sponsor your SUNetID for a period of time after your appointment ends. This would preserve your email account in its entirety while sponsored.
- I am a visiting postdoc, can I have my email forwarded?
- No. Email forwarding is restricted to postdoctoral scholars appointed through the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.