Stanford University’s 2017 Winter Closure holidays and time off schedule has been announced.
There will be a University-wide winter closure period starting Monday, December 25, 2017, through Friday, January 5, 2018.
The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs (OPA) will be closed the following dates:
- Thanksgiving - Thursday, November 23 and Friday, November 24, 2017;
- Winter Closure - noon on December 22, 2017, through 8:00 AM on Monday, January 8, 2018.
Please note the following guidelines regarding postdoctoral scholars:
- Postdoctoral scholars typically observe the official University designated holidays on the dates below or at a time agreeable with their faculty/PI's depending on the research group/lab schedule. Postdoctoral scholars may not cover the designated holidays with their accrued days of paid sick or vacation leave. Designated holidays are:
- Thanksgiving Holidays: Thursday, November 23 and Friday, November 24, 2017
- Winter Closure Holidays: Monday, December 25, and Tuesday, December 26, 2017; and Monday, January 1, 2018
- In addition to the designated holidays, if their research groups/laboratories are observing the mandatory shutdown during the 3 days noted below, and staff in those areas are receiving additional paid days off, postdoctoral scholars will also receive 3 additional paid days off:
- Wednesday, December 27; Thursday, December 28; and Friday, December 29, 2017
- For other days during the closure period, University staff are required to take vacation or unpaid time off for Tuesday - Friday, January 2 - 5, 2018. Postdocs take these vacation/unpaid time off days as well if required by the PI in cases when the research groups/laboratories are shut down. However, postdoctoral scholars may accomplish their assigned work remotely, without taking vacation days during those days, with prior PI approval.
Postdoctoral scholars are encouraged to talk directly with their PIs and department administration about the operating schedules for the research activities within their areas. As in previous years, areas with critical responsibilities and many laboratories and research activities continue to operate during all or part of the closure period (i.e., clinical units, lab animal facilities, some research labs, Lane Library, etc.).
If you have questions about the winter closure schedule, please contact the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs via HelpSU.