Stanford University’s 2019 Winter Closure holidays and time off schedule has been announced.
There will be a University-wide winter closure period starting Monday, December 23, 2019, through Friday, January 3, 2020.
The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs (OPA) will be closed the following dates:
- Thanksgiving - Thursday, November 28 and Friday, November 29, 2019;
- Winter Closure - noon on December 20, 2019, through 9:00 AM on Monday, January 6, 2020.
If you are a postdoc and need assistance during Winter Closure, please contact:
Confidential Free Assistance for Postdocs (24-hours/7-days): GuidanceResources for Postdocsa
Associate Dean for Postdoctoral Affairs, Dr. Sofie Kleppner: kleppner (at) stanford (dot) edu (will be checking email)
You may also submit a HelpSU ticket to the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs. Please note that HelpSU tickets will be read and answered after Winter Closure: https://stanford.service-now.com/postdoctoral_services
Please note the following guidelines regarding postdoctoral scholars:
- Postdoctoral scholars typically observe the official University designated holidays on the dates below or at a time agreeable with their faculty/PI's depending on the research group/lab schedule. Postdoctoral scholars may not cover the designated holidays with their accrued days of paid sick or time off with pay leave. Designated holidays are:
- Thanksgiving Holidays: Thursday, November 28 and Friday, November 29, 2019
- Winter Closure Holidays: Tuesday, December 24, and Wednesday, December 25, 2019; and Wednesday, January 1, 2020
- In addition to the designated holidays, if their research groups/laboratories are observing the mandatory shutdown and staff in those areas are receiving 3 additional paid days off, postdoctoral scholars will also receive 3 additional paid days off. The additional days off with pay may be taken on any normal workday during the close period that is not an employee’s regularly scheduled day off or a designated holiday.
- For the other regular workdays during winter close that are not designated by the University as holidays or paid days off, employees may use accrued time off with pay, any available PTO, approved time off without pay, or any combination thereof. All departments are asked to administer time off during this week in a consistent fashion, and not to award University paid time off for other dates. Postdocs take these time off with pay/unpaid time off days if required by the PI in cases when the research groups/laboratories are shut down. However, postdoctoral scholars may accomplish their assigned work remotely, without taking time off with pay days during those days, with prior PI approval.
Postdoctoral scholars are encouraged to talk directly with their PIs and department administration about the operating schedules for the research activities within their areas. As in previous years, areas with critical responsibilities and many laboratories and research activities continue to operate during all or part of the closure period (i.e., clinical units, lab animal facilities, some research labs, Lane Library, etc.).
If you have questions about the winter closure schedule, please contact the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs via HelpSU.