In November 2019, a faster and more secure method of SSN/TIN submission was implemented for new Postdocs who have never submitted a SSN to OPA before.
Faster and Safer Method
1. Navigate to AXESS→Student→Submit SSN/ITIN.
Once you submit your SSN, the "Submit SSN/ITIN" option will disappear. If you need to make corrections, use the method below.
- Set up a temporary MedSecureSend account with Stanford IRT: https://med.stanford.edu/irt/security/mss.html
- Once your MedSecureSend account is active:
- In the MedSecureSend "To" line enter: postdocaffairs (at) stanford (dot) edu
- In the MedSecureSend "Subject" line enter: Reporting New SSN
In the body of the message, include:
- Full legal name (First Name and Last Name)
- Stanford ID number
- Full SSN
- Cell number (for any questions)
- Postdoctoral scholars are required to have a SSN or TIN.
- If you do not have a SSN/TIN, apply for one here: https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/
Protecting Your SSN*
- PRACTICES TO AVOID (From http://www.ssa.gov/phila/ProtectingSSNs.htm):
- Never list an SSN when posting a paper record on a public bulletin board
- Never send SSNs via an electronic format*
- Never have a computer log-in system where a person has to use their SSN
- Never use SSNs on ID cards
- Never send SSNs on postcards
- Never store SSNs on unprotected computer systems
- Never carry a Social Security Number (SSN) card on your person