To be ensured of full consideration, please send your complete application by February 20, 2023 in a single PDF to SILpostdoc@stanford.edu with the subject line: “SIL Postdoc_Correll”.
Open postdoctoral position through the Stanford Impact Labs Postdoctoral Fellowship Program with Shelley Correll, Professor of Sociology and Organizational Behavior
Stanford Impact Labs is an initiative at Stanford University that invests in highly motivated teams of researchers and practitioners—impact labs—to generate new insights and solutions to persistent social problems. To begin in the Fall of 2023, Stanford Impact Labs is now accepting applications to the two-year postdoctoral fellowship program in collaboration with four research teams.
The VMware Women’s Leadership Innovation Lab is seeking a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join a team-based, collaborative community and who value the different skills, expertise, and perspectives necessary to design, conduct, sustain, and disseminate public impact research. We particularly encourage applications from women, minority, and first-generation PhD recipients, as well as candidates from a broad diversity of PhD-granting institutions.
The VMware Women’s Leadership Innovation Lab at Stanford University generates foundational research to advance women's leadership by diagnosing barriers, developing and evaluating interventions to get beyond barriers, and disseminating research-based solutions by bridging the gap between research and practice.
Based on their expertise, the postdoctoral fellow will engage with the lab community on a variety of projects such as: implementing and evaluating interventions to increase women’s representation, persistence, and inclusion in male- and white-dominated learning and work environments; understanding the specific barriers faced by women of different racial and ethnic backgrounds in the workplace; creating and disseminating new approaches to create and engage change agents to accelerate gender equality.
The postdoctoral fellow will be supervised by Prof. Shelley Correll and will collaborate with research scholars, staff, and PhD students affiliated with the lab. Mentorship of the Postdoctoral Fellow will be structured according to research and professional interests.
In addition, a goal of the Stanford Impact Labs Postdoctoral Fellowship Program is to create a diverse community of scholars who are motivated and equipped to pursue academic careers focused on partnership and solutions-oriented research. Postdoctoral fellows will have the opportunity to engage with one another and with the broader Stanford Impact Labs team and community, and will participate in professional development, cohort-building, and other programming activities.
- Completion of all doctoral requirements within the past three years and no later than September 1st, 2023
- Has research expertise at the intersection of gender and race in organizations (broadly defined, from K-12 to the workplace). Sub-areas of interest include:
Bias and stereotypes at the intersection of gender and race
Racialized and gendered organizational processes
Social psychological interventions to create equitable organizations
- Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Is committed to advancing solutions to social problems through rigorous research, and communicating research findings to diverse audiences, including non-academic audiences
- Wishes to grow their collaborative research skills and ability to partner with organizations
Candidates will be evaluated according to their:
- Scientific record and potential
- Commitment to pursuing scholarship that can impact public policy or social outcomes
- Potential contribution to the research team
- Potential contribution to the Stanford Impact Labs Postdoctoral Fellowship program and the educational activities, goals, and community of Stanford Impact Labs
- Potential for scholarly careers that will contribute to addressing historical inequities and advancing diversity through their research, teaching, and service
Complete applications should include:
- Letter of interest explaining your motivation to become a postdoc with the respective research lab through the Stanford Impact Labs postdoctoral fellowship program (500 words max).
- Short responses to the following three prompts, in 300 words or less for each:
Please provide a short description of your dissertation research and broader research agenda.
How does your research training and expertise prepare you to make progress towards understanding and identifying practical solutions to social problems?
In what ways have you contributed towards and/or demonstrated a commitment to inclusion, equity, and diversity through your academic career, and how do you plan to advance these commitments professionally?
- CV: Provide a curriculum vitae of no more than 5 pages.
- One representative writing sample.
- The application deadline is February 20, 2023.
- Those advancing will be notified and may be asked to submit additional materials, including letters of recommendation, and may be invited to interview. Please do not send emails asking about your status; you will be contacted by the faculty lead if you are advancing in the review process.
- Final selections will be made by the end of April 2023.