Emergency Grant-In-Aid Funds (for Unexpected Expenses) for Postdoctoral Scholars
Please Note - Emergency Grant-in-Aid funds are not intended for:
- standard living expenses (including routine motor vehicle maintenance and repairs);
- standard medical expenses (e.g., monthly premiums, co-pays, routine dental care, glasses/contact lenses, expenses incurred due to waived dental or vision insurance, etc.);
- elective procedures (this includes fertility treatment);
- medical expenses incurred by seeing an out-of-network provider;
- visa or immigration costs (including medical exams);
- expenses prior to Stanford postdoctoral appointment;
- when other aid has ceased; or
- for research-related expenses (including travel to conferences).
- Postdoctoral scholars appointed through the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs are eligible to apply.
- Postdocs must be in good standing and their appointment end date must be 90-days or more from the submission date of the Grant-in-Aid application.
- All non-immigrant foreign scholars in J-1 visa status must review their financial needs with an advisor at the Bechtel International Center before submitting an application.
Step 2: From your @stanford.edu email account (webmail.stanford.edu) send an email to email@example.com by typing "Secure: Grant-in-Aid Application" in the subject line and attaching the following required documentation:
- Required documentation of expenses: complete the Grant-in-Aid Worksheet and attach it to your email along with copies of billing statements and/or receipts (sensitive data redacted). If requesting aid to cover medical or dental costs, actual invoices from the doctor’s office and your insurance policy's Explanation of Benefits (EOB) document are required.
- Postdoctoral Scholars who are married or in a registered domestic partnership must include their and their spouse’s latest income tax return (first page only, with sensitive data redacted). International postdocs who do not have a tax return must provide other documentation proving income (including international funds), marital status and/or dependent status.
Have a Question Before Applying?