Emergency Grant-in-Aid helps postdocs with a financial emergency or unanticipated expenses, e.g., medical, dental, etc., causing financial hardship for themselves or their dependents. This program assists those who cannot resolve their financial difficulty through fellowships or loans. Emergency Grant-in-Aid awards are grants that reimburse actual expenses. These awards are not loans and are not repaid. Emergency Grant-in-Aid awards are taxable. Aid reimburses postdocs for up to $5,000/academic year (Sept. 1 to Aug. 31). Expenses must be incurred within the current academic year to be reimbursed. No carryover of expenses into following year is permitted. No reimbursements are made for the prior year in the current year. All requests for reimbursements must be submitted in time to pay out at the end of the current academic year. This is typically 30 days before the last day of the fiscal year.
Any unanticipated or unusual expenses incurred in the current fiscal year (Sept - Aug) outside of the typical postdoc budget will be considered. Each case is considered on its own merits. For budgetary reasons, we appreciate it if you submit your application within 90 days of the incurred expense.
Please Note: Emergency Grant-in-Aid funds are not intended for:
- standard living expenses (including motor vehicle maintenance and repairs (possible exceptions for postdocs with children who need to be transported to school, child care, and appointments), and regular child care)
- standard medical, dental, and vision expenses (e.g., monthly premiums, co-pays, routine dental care, including orthodontia, glasses/contact lenses, expenses incurred due to waived dental or vision insurance, etc.)
- elective procedures (this includes fertility treatment and orthodontia)
- medical expenses incurred by seeing an out-of-network provider, or for services not covered under the plan (claiming medical necessity is not sufficient. All medically necessary services are covered)
- dental expenses incurred by an out-of-network provider, or for services not covered under the plan (claiming medical necessity is not sufficient. All medically necessary services are covered)
- visa or immigration costs (including medical exams)
- educational expenses for yourself or dependents
- moving expenses
- legal expenses
- vacation expenses
- routine veterinary bills (reviewed on a case by case basis)
- expenses prior to Stanford postdoctoral appointment
- research-related expenses (including computers and laptops, their accessories, or travel to conferences), or
- when other aid has ceased
- Postdoctoral scholars appointed through the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs are eligible to apply.
- Postdocs must be in good standing and their appointment end date must be 90+ days from the application submission date.
- All non-immigrant foreign scholars in J-1 visa status must review their financial needs with an advisor at the Bechtel International Center before submitting an application.
Submit online application and have all required documentation ready for upload at the time of application.
- Grant-in-Aid Worksheet
- If requesting aid to cover medical or dental costs, your insurance policy's Explanation of Benefits (EOB) document
- Proof of payment, i.e., credit card statements, bank statements, cancelled checks
- Your latest tax return. For those postdoctoral scholars who are married or in a registered domestic partnership and file separately, then both postdoc's and spouse's latest income tax return. Please provie first page only, with social security numbers redacted. International postdocs who do not have a tax return must provide other documentation proving income (including international funds), marital status and/or dependent status.
The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs reviews the applicant’s financial assistance history and appointment record. The Grant-In-Aid Committee contacts you for additional information or to notify you of the status of your application via email approximately six weeks after all required application materials are received.
Have a Question Before Applying?
For questions, please submit your inquiry to Postdoc Affairs. (Please do not include any sensitive medical or other private data in this inquiry.)
Have a Question After Applying?
Please submit your inquiry to OPA Awards. (Please do not include any sensitive medical or other private data in this inquiry).
Last updated - February 9, 2023