The Jaramillo Laboratory and the SUNCAT Center for Interface Science and Catalysis are seeking a postdoctoral scholar to work in the area of experimental electrocatalysis and photoelectrocatalysis.
At SUNCAT, we aim to design next-generation catalysts and materials for sustainable processes and to understand the interfacial science that governs catalyst behavior. To this end, we have developed a program in which experimental catalysis science, atomic-scale computational modeling and data science are tightly integrated — this integration generates a positive feedback loop in which both experimental and computational efforts are constantly enabling and improving the output of the other. We are seeking a candidate to help promote SUNCAT efforts to synthesize and evaluate electrocatalysts, semiconductors, and photoelectrodes. We are interested in a broad range of electrochemical reactions in the context of our mission to enable sustainable fuel and material production; we aim to not only synthesize new catalysts but also to understand and identify characteristics of the interfacial microenvironment that govern both catalyst activity and durability. Examples of reactions of interest include CO2 reduction, water electrolysis (hydrogen evolution; water oxidation), oxygen reduction to form both H2O and H2O2, and N2 reduction to NH3.
- A PhD in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, or a related field is required prior to appointment for this position.
The following qualifications will be considered when evaluating candidates:
• Experience synthesizing and characterizing electrocatalysts, including via electrochemical and spectroscopic methods (e.g. XPS, XRD, FT-IR, Raman, etc.)
• Experience characterizing product distributions via a range of techniques (GC, NMR, HPLC, etc.)
• Experience with nanofabrication and clean room techniques, especially for solar energy conversion devices
• Experience working at synchrotron and advanced beamline facilities
• A desire to work as part of a larger team and the ability to contribute to multiple projects simultaneously
• Oral and written competency in English
- A cover letter describing your interest in the position and your relevant qualifications
- A curriculum vitae, including a list of publications
- Contact information for 2-3 references