A reappointment (i.e., extension of a postdoctoral appointment) is possible by agreement between the faculty member and the postdoctoral scholar in accordance with the terms of the offer and applicable University policy. Reappointments and term extensions should be discussed and submitted for approval a minimum of 3 months before the end of the appointment. In addition, appointments that include visas require adequate processing time, typically an additional 1-2 months, depending on visa type. A reappointment/extension of a scholar in postdoctoral status may not exceed a total of five years of postdoctoral research (at Stanford or elsewhere), except in rare circumstances. Refer to RPH 10.3, Section 2F & G, for applicable provisions and requirements, including term limit considerations.
Term Limit Considerations:
Postdocs who have completed five years of research or training and who are continuing at Stanford may be moved into an appropriate classification such as a Research Associate, Instructor or Lecturer. Contact your faculty affairs office or human resource office to initiate the process at least three months in advance of the postdoctoral appointment end date.
- Administrators may reappoint (extend the current appointment) of their postdoctoral scholars by submitting a Change request web form via PeopleSoft Web Forms.
- Appointment extensions for externally funded postdocs must include an updated funding letter (please upload a PDF copy to the approved recommendation form).
- Reappointment end date and visa end date must be identical.
- Reappointment and visa extension web forms are reviewed simultaneously for approval; please submit simultaneously to avoid processing delay.
- J-1 Scholars: Change request must be accompanied by submission of a DS-2019 extension web form via AXESS
- DS-2019 Funding Sources total must match annual funding reported to OPA, EXCEPT:
- When the appointment/DS-2019 extension does not equal one year;
- Annual funding is reported to OPA via Change form.
- Funding rate for extension period is reported to Bechtel I-Center via the DS-2019 web form (will only match annual rate for one year extensions).
- When external funding includes allowances beyond the annual salary rate;
- Annual funding is reported to OPA via Change form (do not include additional allowances).
- Funding rate for extension period is reported to Bechtel I-Center via the DS-2019 web form (additional allowances ARE reported to Bechtel).
- H-1B Visa: Change request must be accompanied by submission of a completed and signed PDF H-1B Visa Request Form and an H-1B Employment Visa web form.
- F1 OPT: Change request must be accompanied by a STEM extension EAD card (please upload a PDF copy to the approved recommendation form), or by the required web forms/documents supporting a transition to J-1 or H-1B visa status.
Clinical Trainees: Clinical Fellow reappointments/extensions require the submission of an updated signed Patient Care Form to the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs and to the Graduate Medical Education office at Stanford Hospital and Clinics. The department administrator is responsible for ensuring the completion and submission of this form to those two respective offices.
If the reappointment of the clinical trainee follows the completion of a clinical training program and the trainee is continuing at Stanford in order to carry out basic science research while she or he plans to do some additional clinical duties through Stanford Hospital and Clinics as a housestaff physician not in training, a Termination of the Clinical Appointment must be submitted to OPA via the PeopleSoft Web Forms and a new appointment to recommend a Research Scholar must be initiated. If, as a Research Scholar, the candidate will continue to perform clinical duties as an Attending Physician with Stanford Hospital and Clinics, the postdoctoral administrator must upload a signed Agreement for Services Outside of Fellowship as part of the Recommendation Form. Clinical arrangements in those cases may be made directly by the department with SHC to allow for the appropriate levels of credentialing and pay.
Sixth Training Year Extension Requests ( Job Aid):
For reappointments that extend beyond 60 months (cannot exceed 72 months) of postdoctoral research experience (at Stanford and elsewhere), please read RPH 10.3, Section 2F & G, and submit the following documents in the order listed below in one PDF (no PDF portfolios please):
- Postdoc 6th Year Extension Request Cover Sheet (NEW! Required)
- Sixth Year Extension Request Form - PI (with noted supporting documents)
- Faculty Sponsor/PI's record of IDP Meetings with ALL postdoctoral trainees
- Sixth Year Extension Request Form - Postdoc (with noted supporting documents)
- The scholar's updated CV
- Research Experience Calculator (see How To: Calculate Months Experience for link to form)
- A copy of the fellowship award letter (for requests based on the completion of a nationally or internationally competitive postdoctoral research fellowship)
- A copy of the accepted job offer letter (for requests based on the need to bridge a short period of time to an accepted job offer start date).
Sixth training year requests are reviewed by a Faculty Subcommittee. OPA submits new requests to the Faculty Subcommittee once per month (NOT on a rolling basis when received at OPA). Requests submitted after the current month's deadline will remain pending at OPA until the next month's deadline, at which point the 6-8 week review timeline begins.
Request submission deadline to OPA: second Friday of each month.
Processing time: 6 - 8 weeks after the second Friday of each month.