The postdoctoral appointment is contingent upon programmatic need, satisfactory performance, and the existence of funding. There is no guaranteed or implied renewal at the end of an appointment term; the faculty sponsor and postdoc should discuss renewal well before the end date, a minimum of 3 months if a visa is required. International postdocs may be eligible for up to five full years of a J-1 visa program, but there is no guarantee that the appointment will be renewed. Subject to the limits set forth in university policy, the appointment may be subject to early termination or non-renewal.
For any postdoctoral appointment that is ending:
- The postdoctoral administrator must submit a termination web form in PeopleSoft at least 10 days prior of the end date of the appointment.
- The web form is necessary in order to end the appointment, quarterly registration fee, and monthly benefits charges.
The department is responsible for:
- Obtaining a forwarding address from the postdoc to be entered in the termination web form
- Ending all active GFS pay lines on the same date as the date entered in the New End Date field on the termination web form
- For international scholars: submitting necessary web forms to Bechtel I-Center to amend the J1 program when appointments end more than 15 days prior to the J program end date
- Any benefits charges resulting from the late submission of the termination web form
The postdoc will be mailed COBRA (insurance) materials to the forwarding address entered on the termination web form. The postdoc is eligible to extend existing medical and/or dental insurance coverage.
COBRA REGULATIONS state that we must notify our plan administrator within 30 days of a termination.
What this means for departments:
- To avoid paying health premiums beyond the termination date, an approved termination web form must be received by the Postdoc Benefits Office by 3pm on the last day of the month in which the postdoc is terminating
- Termination forms received 25 days or more after the termination date will have a termination date of the last day of the current month
- The Postdoc Benefits Office is not able to refund premiums beyond the current month
- Additional penalties may be incurred in relation to compliance with insurance and visa regulations
When the sponsoring faculty ends the postdoctoral appointment prior to the current appointment end date, an early termination process applies. Click here for the early termination process.
Terminating an Approved Appointment That Did Not Begin:
In a case where the appointment has been approved but the scholar rescinds the offer acceptance prior to the appointment start date, a termination web form is required to end the appointment and stop the accrual of quarterly registration fees and monthly benefits charges. When creating the termination web form, please enter the appointment start date in the New End Date field to show the appointment did not begin.