Admins authorized by their departments to handle postdoc paperwork and other actions receive training from OPA. Admins require working knowledge of visa and immigration regulations.
Admin responsibilities include:
- Initiating appointments on behalf of faculty
- Monitoring upcoming renewals
- Monitoring minimum funding requirements
- Processing related actions in compliance with postdoc, payroll, grant, and contract policies
- Orienting new postdocs pre-arrival communication, arrival meetings, and onboarding
- Answering questions on an ongoing basis
- Identifying required postdoc training (health and safety, payroll, etc.) and monitoring compliance
- Ensuring postdocs have current appointments (end date has not passed without extension)
- Ensuring postdocs are funded appropriately based on months/years of experience
- Advising faculty in advance in case of non-renewable appointments, and all matters related to postdoc policy.
- Preparing required documentation for review
- Maintaining complete/accurate postdoc records
- Attending quarterly postdoc admin meetings to stay current on policy, procedure, and program issues
- Advocating for community and network building opportunities for postdocs, such as email lists and including postdocs in department functions, committees, and academic/social activities